Tuesday, July 26, 2005

I broke a nail!

I got hit by a car yesterday while riding my bike. It was really quite scary. However, the good thing is that all I have to show for it are: a broken nail, a huge bruise, and an egg that looked like it exploded in the carton. Which, all in all, isn't bad. The couple were very concerned, asking if I was alright, if there was any damage to my bike, and all that kind of thing. It didn't look like it, so we both went on our way. I wondered later if they would have thought it was funny if I complained that they broke one of my nails. Probably not. But I would have been amused.

It happened like this: Coming back from Ralph's, I didn't have enough room in my backpack for everything I had bought, so the eggs and one set of english muffins were in a bag on my arm (the egg exploded because it impacted with the car). I was riding along, avoiding the evil hedges that they really need to trim, because they make riding along the sidewalk scratchy and dangerous. Came to where another road intersects Foothill without a light, and there was also a car approaching on that road. I slowed way down, to make sure they noticed me before I crossed in front of them, and she stopped and looked at me, enough back so that I could cross in front, or so I thought. So I started down the ramp, and just as I hit the street, the car started to move too! There was really no way to avoid the collision, I yanked on my breaks, and swerved slightly, which meant when we hit I didn't get handlebars in my stomach, just in my one thigh. But, altogether, it wasn't bad. Just kind of crazy, that I've been hit by a car. Been hit by a bike before while on foot, now a car while on a bike. I don't want to know what the progression is! Maybe spaceship while I'm driving a car?

Anyway, I'm safe, except that I broke a nail! *cries* ;)

2 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Eeek, trains. Bad idea.

Wow, I'm glad you're alright Matt. Yay for helmets indeed! At least you gave back to the minivan what it deserved. ;)

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You conjugated cry wrong. It should be "cries".
But we'll forgive you this time because breaking a nail is understandably a traumatic experience.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home