Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The Computer Gods Hate Me

So, I installed McAfee antivirus the other day. Everything seemed to be working fine. Until that night when I went to shut down my computer. It just sat there, and didn't do anything after it hit the "Windows is shutting down...." screen. I thought that was a little strange, but I just forced it to shut down and didn't worry too much about it. Until it kept happening for a week.

So, I e-mailed Donna, our resident Dorm IT person. She said to bring it on in and she'd take a look at it. I was expecting a couple hours, but she had 7 before I could even think about picking it up again, so I wasn't worried.

I went back 7 hours later, and she hadn't been able to find anything wrong with it. There were no viruses, trojans, worms, adware, or otherwise malicious programs on there. Which, I try really hard to keep track of things, so there shouldn't have been, but, you know, good that she checked. So, she decided it would be best to uninstall McAfee and see what happened. Fine.

So, yesterday she apparently uninstalled McAfee, it shut down fine. She tried to install a different version of McAfee (the version Scripps uses, so that I would have antivirus software on my computer), and something weird happened in installation and it stopped downloading. So, she decided to let it defrag, and see what happened.

I checked back today, and my computer will not only no longer shut down, it now won't access the internet unless it's in safe mode. It's worse than before! And, to top it off, the Scripps version of McAfee is partially installed on my computer, and she can't get it off anymore because it doesn't show up in the Install/uninstall programs list, and you can't delete the folder it's in. I know it's not at all her fault, but it's really really frustrating that it's worse, and there's nothing I can do about it. And it was fixed before!

So now her best solution is to reinstall windows totally. I'm pissed. I don't want to have to deal with this, I have other things to be doing, and I need my computer back and fully functional. Now. More like yesterday. I hate this. But she wants someone else to look at it before we go ahead with anything else. I just want McAfee off so that I can get on with things. I'm so mad. My computer's been so good. I don't want to wipe it. But, I've now been without a computer for almost 60 hours, and I'm going to be without one for who knows how long. It's going to be real interesting to see how long I can deal with this sanely. Especially when I have two papers due next week. Meh. Stupid technology. Why does it hate me?

2 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger Katie said...

My dad suggested the same thing, in terms of recovering from the disk, so I think that's what I'm going to make them try, before we go totally wiping my computer clean.

And, I wish I had a backup computer. But I'm not old and rich like you. ;)

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what version of mcafee was it? It seems that windows xp was having compatibility issues with virusscan 4.5 through 5.21
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=308381

Have you tried using xp's system restore yet?

Why can't you delete it? Have you tried deleting the registry entries?

-your magical Windows fairy in residence


PS Defrag the HD? What the hell was she thinking?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home