Monday, August 09, 2004

Exchange = AMAZING!

So, this weekend, was probably the best weekend of dancing I've had ever. It was just incredible. I had so much fun! And it was such an experience to be able to dance with so many people that I otherwise wouldn't have had the opportunity to. There was a guy from Australia, and one from Boston, and a couple from Denver, SF, Whittier, all over the place! And it was such a blast! The live music was fabulous every single night. I love live jazz, and it's such a pleasure to dance to. Especially because no one knows exactly what they're going to play, so your musicality can by totally made up on the spot, instead of recordings, where you should kind of know what's going to happen next. The Solomon Douglas Trio that played at late night Sat. night was really good. I thoroughly enjoyed their mix of songs. And although I wasn't a huge fan of Porkpie, (I just didn't connect as well with their music) dancing in the Seattle Centerhouse was a ton of fun! Despite not always connecting completely with the music, I was still dancing really well, so it was a lot of fun. And I looked so cute! Because I wore my lindy pants! :) (No modesty. ;) ) But they were awesome. I love them to death. They're so much fun to dance in! Anyway, there were all kinds of people in the Centerhouse, just watching us, and it was a lot of fun. I danced with this one guy, who, while he didn't really know any lindy at all, pulled an aerial on me! It was crazy! It was totally unexpected, and while it was kind of cool, it was very strange. Most people wouldn't do that with someone they don't know. But hey, why not? Especially if that's the only cool thing you can do. We stayed until four Sunday morning at late night. It was fabulous! Partly because they had the Trio there, and they were awesome. And partly because that was the one night that we could actually stay most of the whole time. I spent the night at Emily's because it would have been a really bad idea to drive home, so that was nice. Plus, that meant that I could just sleep in, and then get up for the airshow that they were doing. It was incredible. From their deck, we could see the hydroplne races, and the entire airshow, and the blue angels flew right over the house, several times! It was so loud! But amazingly cool! And I met her cousin, who's twelve, and knows more about airplanes than any person I've ever met. It was amazing. He could give you all kinds of information on any plane that you wanted. He knew all the ones that were flying, and was even one-upping Emily's dad and his friend who know planes really well as well. Crazy! Anyway, it was so fun to see the planes. I don't remember having seen the blue angels in action before, and it was so fun to watch! They also had some people flying biplanes and things, which were really cool too. I have no desire to ever fly in one of those planes, I think I would get way too dizzy, it'd be like an extreme roller coaster, and while I like roller coasters, I'm not sure I'd want to "ride" one suspended in midair. I do admire the pilots though, they can do some absolutely amazing things. In the afternoon we went out and swam in the lake because it was such a nice day. It was fun. I haven't been swimming in a long time, and I haven't been swimming in a lake in so many years I can't even count. It was fun though. We swam down the island until we could see this amazing house. It had it's own sand beach (they had to have created it because there's no sand on MI.) And the house was humongous! It had this huge glassed in room on one end looking out over the water that Emily's brother told me was a pool. If I had that house, it'd be a ballroom. What an amazingly cool room with a view that would be to dance in! The house was crazy though. Way way way too much money!
Last night was also really fun. The band that played at the Century was really good. And although I wasn't dancing so well, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to them. I had a couple of good dances though. Which was good. Late night was the best though. For whatever reason, I was suddenly dancing amazingly well! It was so fun! I wished I could have stayed longer, but at 2:30, it was definitely time to call it a night so that I could get home. Having not been home in over 24 hours, it was nice to be back. Although I really really wanted to stay. There was this one guy there, who I'd been watching most of the weekend because he was really really good. And I knew that if I didn't dance with him at late night last night, I wouldn't get to dance with him at all, because he wasn't from around here. So I went over and asked him, and he said "You're the third person who's asked me, but I have to go change my shirt, so I'll come find you after, you're number three." I was thinking to myself, OK, you seem like a nice guy, but you're good enough that you wouldn't have to come back and find me. It'd be disappointing, but understandable. But he came and found me! I was so excited! And we had an awesome dance! He was so good! SO good! I danced with a lot of really good people this weekend, it was really fun. Unfortunately I didn't get to watch many of the good girls, I was too busy dancing, but hopefully I improved a little! I certainly had fun. I am definitely going next year as well. There's no way I'd miss it! So much fun! Anyway, that's my rave review of the exchange, I'm done now. :) It's back to normal life for me again, work, and the U. *sigh* But, there'll be more dancing, just not quite as exciting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home