Sunday, September 05, 2004

Bio and Chem and Tragedies, oh my!

So it looks like classes are going to be good this semester. Foundations of Neuroscience is sounding like it's going to be very cool, even though I should know quite a bit of the information, having taken higher level courses without having had it first. But, that's alright. Intro bio and chem are going to be way too much busy work, and a pain because I have labs Tuesday nights and Friday afternoons, which are the absolute worst lab times ever! However, I will live, and it looks like they'll be decently interesting too. Chem class should be lots of fun. Our prof. just got out of grad school, and is so excited and peppy, and lots of fun to learn from. In one class period, we had a mini Olympics, took iron filings out of Total, and listened to a fabulous song about the elements. It was great! Bio is probably going to be a little slow, which doesn't change the amount of work we have to do, just the boring level of the class. Which kind of stinks. But hopefully it will pick up. And Greek Tragedies looks to be a lot of fun, since we're reading a lot of stuff that I haven't done before, although that meant it was expensive because I had to buy eleven new books. But hey, I now own an entire collection of Greek Tragedies!
I've been really busy, dance started already, and Chris is working on the new Latin Medley that we will be taking to Ohio. The Ducey gym where we have latin is an absolute sauna, so we all sweat tons. But, it's shaping up to be a really good class with a good ratio, so it'll be fun. Standard it weirding me out because I am the only girl who has taken it before, therefore, I am the only one who knows the routines, and can focus on the technique, but I have no one better than me to watch, and it makes me really self conscious because I shouldn't be the best one in the class. There is no way that should be. It's crazy! But, we've reinstated our tradition of going to the Coop afterward, which is soooo much fun! Although it also means I'll be eating greasy fried food twice a week again, but hey, it's worth it for the company. :)
Ian came down Friday, which was really fun! It was great to see him again, and we had a good time going to the hypnotist show, and then watching When Harry Met Sally with Andrew and Co. That was a really fun movie! Hopefully next time I'll see the begining of it. The hypnotist show was hilarious! It was pretty similar to the ones at KR, although he didn't do the belly button thing. But he did do a human seat belt, which was great! Because she was so enthusiastic and emphatic about the fact that she had saved "like four" of these people's lives. And the poor girl who had no knowledge of the number six... that was amusing, but distressing when she sat there counting her fingers and not being able to figure out why there were eleven of them. It was very amusing overall. Saturday about 12:30, Ian decided that we all needed to do something fun, so we basically took the day off, and went over to PC's suite and joined PC and Justin in watching The Italian Job. Which was a really good movie. Then we took a walk down to Bert and Rockie's in the Village to get ice cream, which was funny because PC, Justin, Ike, and Adam all came with us, and none of them got anything. But hey, it was great to have them along! We went back to Adam's room after that, and Ian, Justin, and Adam taught me how to play bridge. When Justin left, Becca was coerced into taking his spot, and we played another hand before dinner. It's a fun game. I would like to play more, I'm just really not good at it. But, hopefully I'll get some practice! Justin has these awesome plastic cards! They never wear out, and they're absolutely a joy to shuffle! So fun! I liked these cards a lot. After dinner, we went to see Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in Frary, which is the dining hall on Pomona that has a strikingly similar feel to the great hall at Hogwarts. And we've talked last year about how similar they are, and finally they showed a movie in there! It was great! Except that their sound system was not so good, so every once in a while it would distort and you couldn't understand anything. But it was still awesome. We then went back to Adam's room and played Trivial Pursuit. Which was very fun! My team did very well, until we had all the pies, and then they kept choosing green for our last question. We finally got it though, and won. They didn't make much of a comeback. But there was this one question that we decided was about cigar magazines, and we needed to know the name of it. And when we gave our final answer, Adam said "curse you." And for whatever reason, I thought that he was saying that the name of the magazine was Curse You. I got made fun of for that one. But hey, I'm allowed my blonde moments every once in a while, right? :)
Oh, if you haven't read them, read Harry Potter in Fifteen Minutes, and Hidalgo in Fifteen minutes. Those are the two that I've read, she's written a bunch of other ones, but they're all for movies that I don't know. But they're absolutely hilarious! Apparently she's coming out with a book. But anyway, if you Google the name, it should come up as the first thing and you can go read it. Great! Especially if you've seen the movies! There are some absolutely hilariously witty lines that she has.
Anyway, back to the work... Have fun! For all of you with summer left. Good luck! For those in school. :)

1 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh I hear ya on the "wait, I'm not supposed to be the best here!" in dance class. Talk about feeling very weird about that. And then having to do all the demonstrations cause I know it, so then I darn well better do it right. Argghglk;ana;bgv. Thats what I have to say about it.
-becca

 

Post a Comment

<< Home